Earth Day is an annual event celebrated around the world on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
News ID: 4990
Date: 18 April 2020 - 22:50
ECO-IEST: Earth Day is an annual event celebrated around the world on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
1. The first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970.
2. Earth Day originated in the US but became recognized worldwide by 1990.
3. On Earth Day 2009, Disney released a documentary film called Earth that followed the migration paths of four animal families.
4. On the very first Earth Day, 20 million people gathered in the streets of America to protest the industrial revolution. An environmental movement was born as a result.
5. Every year on April 22, men, women, and children collect garbage, plant trees, clean up coral reefs, show movies, sign petitions, and plan for a better future for our planet.
6. Earth Day was renamed officially by the UN in 2009 as International Mother Earth Day.
7. Some schools and communities celebrate Earth Day for a whole week to expand the time frame that people focus on the earth and how they can preserve it.
8. On Earth Day 2012, more than 100,000 people rode bikes in China to reduce CO2 emissions and save fuel.
9. In an Earth Day celebration in 2011, 28 million trees were planted in Afghanistan by the Earth Day Network.
10. In Panama, 100 endangered species of orchids were planted and maintained to prevent their extinction in honor of Earth Day.